Monday, August 28, 2006

What a Day..

I'm still here and I know it's been awhile. I also didn't play any golf for about a month until this weekend. My normal playing buds were busy and out of town and I just didn't feel like going to the course so early just playing alone. That was topped with the luxury of sleeping in a little more.

On Saturday I played at Los Verdes Golf Course. It's one of the highest rated muni-golf courses in Los Angeles since its proximity to the ocean and panoramic views. I've played their only once about 8 years ago so I actually forgot how to get there but with the invention of Google map I found it. I ended up shooting a 90 which was I was surprised with (for the lack of golf I had played recently).

I personally think the course is much too over-rated and would say it is "similar" to Torrey Pines (south or north), as many have said it was like, but not quite. I did get to see the ocean on a few holes and there was one where it looked like you were literally teeing off into the ocean. It is nice course overall with all the greens breaking toward the ocean. Not really a difficult course but the greens are fairly tricky I thought.

The highlight, for me, was a drivable par 4 downhill. It was about 320 yards but into the ocean wind. I hit one of the purest drives, for me, on this hole and landed 5 feet from the green. I hit a great chip and had 2 feet for a birdie..I managed to par..ugh. What really surprised me was that I had four birdie opportunities that day..the most I've ever had in a LONG time..I par'ed all 4 though.

Yesterday I played in my friend's son fundraising golf tourney at Scholl Canyon Golf Course. I've played at Scholl Canyon a couple times before but just not a fan of "executive" courses but it is a wonderful "executive" course that is nestled away in the Scholl Canyon Mountains..sorry..I made that up..not sure what the mountain range is called..but sounded nice.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


It was a 4-man scramble and I finally found out he difference between a scramble and a best ball. We ended up with a final score a -3..not bad..but not low enought to win. The winners were -8. The highlight for me was when I won one of the "closest-to-pin" contest and ended up winning $80 on the hole..but I ended up donating that to the fundraising proceeds..which all the other "closest-to-pin" winners followed suit.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


It was the first time I ever won a "closest-to-pin" hole though. It was a very short par 3, 90 yards, and I hit an easy wedge. It ended up about 1 foot from the hole. I knew that I had a great chance of winning that one..which I did.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


I was also busy the last few week because I was looking for a car for myself..a daily commuter. I was thinking of getting a used Toyota Camry (couple years old) but ended up getting a brand new Toyota Matrix.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


I was actually going to get a Toyota Corolla but then found out the Matrix is the same car/engine/frame but a little bigger interior. I wanted something I could easily carry my golf clubs in and this was the charm. The rear seats fold all the way down to actually go straight flush flat for mucho cargo room. Mine looks exactly like the one pictured above but in "Cosmic Blue Metallic".

I sold a majority of my Scotty Cameron's this past week also, but I did buy a mint condition "Inspired By Brad Faxon" Laguna 2.5

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


It is sweeeeeet. I only have four Cameron's left..they're beaters and I am planning on sending a couple of them to the Custom Shop to get restored..can't wait!

No comments: